Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Patiala School for the Deaf and Blind

I volunteered at the Patiala School for the Deaf and Blind for 4 weeks. Over that time, I learned sign language to communicate with the deaf children, braille to understand what the blind children must learn, and even some speech therapy! It was a wonderful experience getting to know the students and trying to find my niche. The school has so much love and it is evident that the children are happy. I wanted to do so much more than I had time for, but I know what my project will be for the next time!

Here are some of my pictures from the school:

My first day at the school the laundry was hanging out and it made the dreary day seem more colourful
 

 To sponsor a child for a month: 1500 rupees is equal to $27 or 18,000 per year is $329.

Blind library
 

Cafeteria

My first week at the school was spent immersing myself in sign language and spending time with the deaf children. This included an introduction to speech therapy and audiology. My second day volunteering saw us heading up to the Rotary Club where they had donated hearing aids for 6 deaf children. Watching how these kids could now hear sounds was astonishing. Over the next few weeks, the speech therapist and I worked with these six to help them learn to differentiate sounds and learn to speak.




 These two boys were my favourites. Jaspal (left) didn't even know his own name (cute!) and Abdul (right) was the most mature 11 year old I've ever met - and he was abandoned on the streets!

Deaf teacher and students. The class was surprisingly quiet! I say this because in my classes they were incredibly loud, especially for being deaf and mute, they are not silent!


Speech therapy room

I spent my second week learning about braille and how the blind students learn mathematics. I used a teleframe to answer math questions, including large multiplications. I even participated in a math test, with my eyes closed, and got 14/15. One question was wrong because I couldn't feel the difference between the bar and the two dots. My sense of touch is not nearly as heightened as the students'!


Typing on the Brailler!
The teleframe
My math test: 14/15
 

At the end of the second week the students went to another school for some performances. The blind students were singing a traditional song and the deaf students performed a dance and participated in a painting competition.




Renu won the painting competition
 


Students receiving a box of crayons for participating
Driving back from the performance in an autorickshaw - with 8 people in the back and 3 in the front!!


During my third week a few more volunteers arrived and it was nice to have the company. Six of us spent time playing games with the kids, including frisbee, working on a music project, and doing arts and crafts.


George and David working on our English song
The blind students learning 'Roar' by Katy Perry. I had typed up the lyrics in braille!
 
The blind students playing a game they invented with a ball and a pot. The ball has a bell in it so that can hear where it goes and if it makes contact with the pot.
Ravi throwing the disc
 

Ieke doing pottery crafts with the blind students
Lotte making 3D cards with the deaf girls
Cat keychains, idea courtesy of Lotte!
 
We made cake for 200 students for Iekeliene's last day
Lotte and David making cats
Volunteering is fun!
Some of the best moments were on the bus where I spent a lot of time learning sign language and having hour long conversations with Manpreet, Renu, and Guarav, three deaf students who were all 16-17 years old. I formed a strong bond with these guys!

 
 
 

Last bus ride home from school - sad day!

My last day was really sad. I went around the school taking pictures of students and teachers I will never forget. I'm so thankful to have met all these wonderful people and to have been a part of the school for four weeks.This was truly an unforgettable experience. Thank you Karaminder and Renu ma'am for letting me be a part of the school for four weeks!

 These two people were incredible inspirations. The little one is only three years old and she is the youngest student at the school. Unable to communicate because she hadn't learned to sign yet, she would wander around the school with the happiest face, stealing everyone's cookies. The man on the right is a deafblind teacher who is fluent in English finger spelling and one handed signing. After meeting him, where he asked George and I questions about where we were from, etc., another blind teacher came in and they had a conversation through touch, tapping each others hand when one or the other understood the message. Laughing and smiling, the pure joy in communication was evident from their faces. I had to step out of the room because I was so overcome with emotion. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life.


The last goodbyes


3 comments:

  1. You ROCK Jennika, seriously. What an admirable thing to do and what an experience for not only you but them too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy!! I'm so happy to have had the chance to volunteer. It really was a great experience to see how these children are so happy with so little. Makes you reevaluate life a bit, you know? Anyway, thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I think going to India ended up being a lot more than a trip of reflection and healing for you...I have a feeling it has set you on a life long journey. Seeing and experiencing first hand the importance of communication at this school is going to make you a very good speech pathologist.

    ReplyDelete