Sunday, March 2, 2014

Incredible, Extraordinary, Colourful India

Five and a half weeks of new and wonderful experiences are hard to categorize into a blog. So many awesome moments in this country have made me never want to leave. Of course, I had to come back for my second semester at Dankook, but I have plans to go back to India and tour the whole country.

If you asked me to describe the country in one word, it would be colourful. The clothes, the fabrics, the accessories are all made from such colourful materials. But more, the people, the culture, the food, the music; everything about India was so colourful, so vibrant, so full of energy.

I am going to separate my posts about India by experience and not by chronological order.
   1. Learning to grieve
   2. The Patiala School for the Deaf and Blind
   3. Rishikesh and the Himalayan Yog Ashram
   4. The Wedding

I made my way to India after hearing about a volunteer program from a friend. Volunteer Vacation India is a program run by a generous philanthropic family in India who established a school for deaf and blind children, among other initiatives, and offer homestay placements for those who come to volunteer at the school. The Singh family was more than welcoming - they made me a part of their family and I participated in regular daily events with them. They went above and beyond to ensure that I was comfortable, and indeed I was. The family home is a treasure with beautiful trees and gardens located in Patiala, Punjab, in the north west of India.

My room
Super cute spiral staircase leading up to my room - I've always wanted one of these!
Kishan Baran - The 100 year old Family House
My room from the outside


Probably the biggest culture shock was the driving in India. There are no rules! You literally get a license without writing a test. You turn 18, walk in, and walk out with a license! Lane driving is non-existent and the explanation I got about the crazy driving was 'each person will save their own skin'. I saw so many things on the roads in India, including buses, trucks, cars, scooters, rickshaws, autorickshaws, bicycles, pedestrians, tractors, dogs, livestock, horse/oxen/bull drawn carts, a camel, monkeys, and an elephant. Here are some short clips that show life on the road in India!




Monkeys!


Gunji Baba is a cousin and he was very keen on making the volunteers feel welcome and ensuring they made the most of their trip. One evening he took us to see the old palace in Patiala, which has since been converted into a sports training facility.


Gunji wearing the flower I picked for him!

Palace of Mirrors that we *may* have snuck into.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Jennika, There couldnt be a more accurate account our the Deaf and Blind schools at Patiala (India).
    Jennika you were a part of our one big family of the Deaf and Blind children who all loved you and as also the extended family at home. WE all enjoyed you being with us. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete