Monday, October 22, 2012

The Inexplicable World of Korea, 2

Well, it took only a few hours from writing that first post to arrive at my second. It is common custom in Korea (or at least at my school) that if you get married, buy a car, or your baby turns 1 year old, you bring a small gift to everyone at the school. Kind of like sharing the joy and celebrating the achievements with your co-workers. Generously enough, the Korean teachers have included the natives in this tradition and I have to date received various beverages, hand towels, and cake.

Another fun fact about Korea is that they don't often use chocolate in their desserts. Instead red bean paste (which is sort of sweet, but not like chocolate) is used in many things, like pastries and ice cream. Finding chocolate cake is not as common here as back home. And the brownies I've tried (all except 1) have all been meh. For those of you who know me ... I'm a chocoholic!!!!

So when this girl who got married last weekend came to our office with a tray of cupcakes, I was delighted!! They looked sooo good. When asked which one I wanted, I promptly responded: 'whichever one has chocolate!!' And so, I was handed the brown one. I told the English teacher in my office (who is Korean) how delicious it looked and how excited I was. Then, through her laughter, she informed me that in fact it wasn't a cupcake .. but a brown hand towel wrapped up to look like a cupcake. I should have known Terry Bakery meant Terry Cloth Towel. FRIG! I will never understand this country.


Couldn't you just eat me up?

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm sitting here drinking one of the hundred different teas you left me and decide to read up on your blog. Don't I see this picture of the delicious looking cake and think to myself "Hmmm, a piece of that cake would go great with this tea!" LOL...then I read your post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Nice, Mom. Now you understand my misery.

      Delete