Friday, December 21, 2012

Samson Family Christmas Tradition: Meat Pie!

Announcement: We made delicious meat pie from scratch!!!

Being away from family and all the holiday traditions is hard, especially Christmas. At least I get to go home in January to see my family, but I know Jean-Marc is bumming because he doesn't get to.
The Samson Family has a few traditions that I learned of last year when I spent Christmas with them. They always do a puzzle. Some 2000 pieces are laid out on the dining room table and for the month of December everyone who comes over adds a few pieces. They also bake spring rolls and meat pie which they eat on Christmas Eve after midnight mass.

Jean-Marc and I haven't done any baking in our Korean apartment. Baking supplies aren't the easiest to come by and our oven is small. But I really wanted to give JM a little taste of home for the holidays. So he got the recipe for the meat from his mom and I looked up how to bake a pie crust from scratch. With a wine bottle for a rolling pin, we hand made 3 miniature meat pies which we ate with relish, pickles and mozzarella cheese (a tradition of JM and Michel).

While they weren't exactly like Momma K's meat pie, they were soooo delicious.  I'm very happy we laboured over them.

Happy eating everyone,

Jennika



 

No comments:

Post a Comment