Monday, December 3, 2012

Ultimate Frisbee Weekend in Taiwan

In November, I had read a post on the Korean Frisbee FB group about needing some girls for a team playing in a tournament in Taiwan. I messaged a few people and before I knew it, I had booked my flight and was leaving in a week and a half!

The tournament was Saturday, December 1st and Sunday, December 2nd in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan. Luckily, Taipei is only about a 2 hour 50 minute flight from Seoul. Unfortunately, Taipei is also very unpredictable weather wise, and we ended up playing on a rainy, cold weekend. Because we were playing frisbee for the most part, I didn't get to see too much of Taipei. I did manage to get to the National Palace Museum for a few hours and saw all these old artifacts (pottery, brass cauldrons, jade and wood carvings, and paintings) from different Chinese dynasties up to 5000 years ago. They were breathtaking. And of course, I met some great new international friends. The tournament itself was a bust - no points for me and no wins for our Renegade team, but we had fun and got reeeeeal dirty.

Entrance to the National Palace Museum. Sadly, I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside.

Statue at the museum



There was a lovely teahouse on the top floor of the museum where I enjoyed some hot chicken ginseng soup, a cup of tea and pineapple cake, a delicious traditional dessert

I created a panoramic of the stadium we played in for the tournament. By the end of Day 1 the fields were a mess.

We had to find new fields to play on for Day 2, but by the end of that day the new fields were also destroyed.
This is a picture of our Renegade team.

Making my way home from Taiwan:

I feel like such a jet setter when I can say 'oh I went to Taiwan for the weekend'. But it was also a learning experience for future travel. My Sunday night flight back to Seoul landed just before 10:30pm. I booted it through immigration and customs to catch the next bus home. Little did I know, the buses to Cheonan stopped running after 9pm. So did the trains. My only hope was to catch the next subway alllll the way to downtown Seoul (an hour ride) and then take the longggg subway ride home to Cheonan (another 2 hours). While on the subway, the guy next to me brought up the fact that the subway stops operating after 12:30am. Panicking, I checked my handy subway app and, horrifically, he was right. After 2 hours of travel, I was only going to make it to Suwon, still about 45 minutes away from Cheonan. Frantically, I got off the subway at the next stop and ran to the taxi stand. I handed them all my money and begged one of them to drive me the 90km home. One of them agreed, it cost me a pretty penny, and he drove at speeds up to 164km/h while I was curled up, holding on for dear life in the back seat. I arrived at my apartment at nearly 1am. I chose such drastic measures because not only did I work the next morning, but I hadn't slept much on the weekend and could feel myself getting sicker by the moment. I have now been fighting a nasty cold all week. Playing in the rain in Taiwan probably didn't help the sickness, but it sure was an experience!

Jennika

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that's a lot of travelling for ultimate. I guess I won't complain about driving into Oshawa to play on Sundays anymore!! Hope you feel better soon. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete