Monday, September 30, 2013

The Inexplicable World of Korea #9 - Driving and Cellphones

In Korea, there are so many distractions for drivers that appear not to be illegal, it's astonishing. If you stand on the street and watch drivers go by, over half of them will be on their cell phone. Talking, texting, watching videos, taking self portraits, checking their hair; you name it, I've seen it. In addition, many cars have GPS screens/screens for the camera on the back of their car that have satellite capabilities. So I've had taxi drivers who are watching TV while they are driving! It's insane.

This particular one made me very uncomfortable. My bus driver was texting while driving a huge bus with lots of people. He was swaying over the lines and approaching cars a little too close. It bothered me, but what could I do?? I don't know how to say 'Please put your cellphone away' in Korean, and while this action is apparently illegal, the police NEVER enforce it and if caught, the penalty is a $50 fine. THAT'S IT. So in a country where everyone and their dog have a cellphone, how does that teach anyone social responsibility?

It doesn't.



PS. After taking this picture, he heard the click of my camera and looked over his shoulder before putting the phone down. In Korea, all cellphones make the 'click' sound when taking a picture so that you cannot sneak a picture of someone (ie: everyone has the right to know a picture is being taken of them). Apparently that's how you get someone to stop texting and driving!


No comments:

Post a Comment