Tuesday, June 26, 2012

From Calm to Chaos in 2.5 Seconds

Moving is stressful. But moving to another country? That's another level of stress. You have to be sure to pack all the things you like back home because you won't be able to find them in the new country, or they will cost 5 times the price. Pack enough clothes for a year because they don't have your size in the new country and fit this into 2 suitcases under 50 lbs. You have to worry about visas, contracts, consulates, electronics adapters, paying all your bills back home, vaccines, international driver's licences, oy!

But that is only the start when you live in an apartment that you first have to move out of, before you can even start packing for the foreign country. And this is where you will find Jean-Marc and I right now. Well, mostly me because I've been living here for almost 3 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff in my 300 sq. ft apartment. Yesterday I took pictures of the apartment to advertise it to potential subletters and to remind myself in a few years how I used to be cool living in my own downtown Montreal studio. Since we will be gone for most of July visiting family, and I'm not working, paying rent is going to be a big chunk of my savings over the next 2 months. So I have found a subletter for the first 9 days we are gone. Yay! But that means I have to pack up all my personal items into my 2 door Sunfire and move them back home. I may have to leave a few boxes in the closet because it's not looking too promising.

I keep reminding myself that this is the start of a new life chapter and in a few short weeks (5 to be exact - JM just got his itinerary today and he is flying out of Montreal to Korea on July 31st), our lives will really be changing. I still haven't signed the contract with Bugil Academy, but today I got an e-mail from my boss that said "Dear Jennika. I'd like to inform you about a few things. 1. You can feel easy in your mind about coming Korea. I mean everything is OK." So cute! But of course I'm stressing because there is still so much to do. In the meantime, I have to get ready for work. This is my last week in the lab and the project I've been working on is very much up in the air. I guess I'll have to tackle this packing tonight after dinner. Bye for now!

Jennika

Yesterday = Calm


Today = Chaos

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't used something in 6-12 months chuck it! I'm so glad I was ruthless when I moved out of my last place, I don't have room for clutter in my current place

    ReplyDelete