Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Holy Batman there is a lot to do before we leave.

Hey folks Jean-Marc here.
I only have one week left in Montreal. It has gone by so fast it feels like I'm still settling in. Being in Montreal with Jennika has been great! I've had the chance to see concerts, eat terrific food and hang out at tam tams. I was lucky enough to spend lots of time with my cousins Jo & Mel and Mel's little boy Ailin.

Jennika and I will be starting our birthday vacation on Thursday. Whoop Whoop! Off to Niagara Falls and then a cute B&B in Vermont. Then we will start the trip home to go see my family in Nova Scotia, so I can say goodbye before leaving for Korea. 

But before that I have lots to do. I have sent some documents off to Korea to get my visa issuance number. Once I get that number, I can apply for my E7 visa here at the Korean Consulate. In the meantime, we have a nice laundry list of things we should do before we leave. 
  • Create an international will
  • Get an international drivers licence
  • Talk to a Travel Clinic doctor
  • Talk to a CRA agent (Canadian Revenue Agency) about taxes and duties while in Korea
  • Pack up Jennika's apartment
  • It seems like every time we complete a task, a new item on this list pops up
We are also creating a list of supplies to pack. I have a handsome relocation allowance, so I will be taking as many essential items as possible to Korea to help the transition go a little smoother. We are hoping to get a bunch of these items while in the states next week.  

It will all work out, 
JaM's

2 comments:

  1. Not too add to your list, or be morbid, but you may also need to look into repatriation insurance. It is a requirement for Canadians in the USA on scholar visas, but even if it's not a requirement for you it is cheap enough to consider. (Again, sorry to be morbid).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider buying repatriation insurance, even if you don't need it. It's typically pretty cheap, and can make a big difference if you get ill etc.

    ReplyDelete